Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Purpose: To engage our community through inspiration, exploration, and activation of values that empower all students to become Stewards of campus life and local in global contexts. This position aligns with the strategic mission to provide inspiration, engagement, and care. The Coordinator reports to the Head of School.
Community Engagement Priorities: Service Learning, Character Education, Center for Engagement initiatives
- Work with faculty, staff, students, and community partners to coordinate and implement relevant service-learning projects JK-12.
- Develop, plan, and implement a variety of co-curricular and extracurricular programming activities designed to provide students with opportunities for personal growth and leadership development.
- Partner with faculty who are incorporating service learning into classroom activities.
- Partner with leadership to invite individuals to inspire and educate around service themes and/or community wellness topics.
- Ensure monthly service opportunities are offered that fit the scope of service themes for the school.
- Serve as a liaison from Steward to the community in order to scale the number of community partnerships with the school.
- Disseminate relevant information about resources, projects, and professional development opportunities for Steward faculty and staff.
- Train and coordinate with divisional service-learning liaisons to ensure support and execution of service learning in each division.
- Coordinate quarterly opportunities for Steward families to engage in community service or volunteer engagement for Steward families to foster opportunities for connection and community involvement.
- Work alongside the Upper School Dean of Students to approve student volunteer hours.
- Communicate with sophomore and junior advisors to ensure their advisees have internships and maintain a list of organizations in Minimester database.
- Partner with the National Honor Society coordinator to ensure students are meeting project deadlines for service.
- Work closely with the Center For Engagement team to establish and execute goals and objectives.
Teach course/seminar in the Upper School related to civic engagement, exploring personal values.
Teach Character Education lessons in Lower School, rotating quarterly along with Center For Engagement staff.
Work closely with the Division Directors and Deans to implement Restorative Practices and serve as a campus resource for conferencing when conflicts arise.
- Preferred: Masters in education, counseling, and/or divinity/theology
- Must be committed to the values and mission of the school while serving in a diverse community
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills
- Excellent judgment and analytical and problem-solving skills
- Enthusiastic, motivated, and able to work with multiple constituencies
- Demonstrated experience working with youth, preferably at an independent school
- Maintain confidentiality