Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
James River Day School cherishes children and challenges them to become scholars, leaders, and citizens for the 21st century in a community of academic excellence. As with all openings, James River seeks candidates who will enrich a diverse and inclusive community and support a joyful yet challenging educational program designed to address the needs of the “whole person.” For that reason, successful candidates display clear cultural competence, promise to contribute significantly to the school community beyond their office or classroom, and support James River’s mission and values. James River Day School is an independent, non-sectarian, co-ed, kindergarten through eighth-grade day school with an average class size of 14. More than 50% of our faculty have advanced degrees. Please see our website (jrds.school) for further information about James River Day School.
The Director of Enrollment Management oversees and directs the admissions program to achieve the school’s enrollment goals and support the school’s mission.
- Create a professional and welcoming environment for all prospective parents and students.
- Coordinate a plan to promote James River Day School to the surrounding community.
- Collaborate with the Head of School to establish enrollment goals.
- Ensure that James River Day School admits and retains qualified and motivated students to succeed and fully inform prospective families during enrollment.
- Create and execute a marketing and comprehensive admissions plan to promote the school and create a pipeline of qualified students.
- Work closely with the Head of School and the Advancement Team to execute the annual Admissions Plan.
- Present the school to prospective students and parents through systematic and efficient handling of applications and communication with candidates and their parents; interviews with candidates and their parents; arrangements for admissions testing; securing necessary student credentials; and communicating final decisions to the appropriate individuals.
- Responsible for creating and managing the Admissions budget.
- Responsible for the oversight of all day-to-day operations of the admissions office.
- Organize and administer the program for tuition assistance and financial aid, working closely with the Business Manager and the Head of School.
- Within the scope of the school’s mission, evaluate continually, strategize, and redesign all aspects of the admissions and marketing program to grow the enrollment of qualified students.
- Lead the re-enrollment process of current students for the succeeding year, prepare financial aid awards for re-enrollment, and maintain communication with the Business Office.
- Track and maintain relevant statistics on all aspects of the admission and re-enrollment program, including a comprehensive list of the school population, financial aid awards, and student attrition.
- Represent the school at various gatherings, conferences, fairs, and community events.
- Perform all other duties appropriate to employment as determined by the Head of School.
- Comply with all rules and regulations established as school policy, including but not limited to those outlined in faculty and student handbooks, as the Head of School may adopt, revise, or delete from time to time.
- Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree and related experience or a combination of directly related education and professional experience consistent with the position's needs.
- The ideal candidate will have strong oral, public speaking, and written communication skills and be relational with students and adults of all backgrounds.
- The Director will be a storyteller and have the ability to articulate the value of a James River Day School education.
- The Director will have extensive knowledge of independent schools, familiarity with reporting requirements, and the role of the Board of Trustees.
- They will be invested in developing a detailed understanding of James River’s school culture, curriculum, faculty, students, and programs.
- The position also requires competence in developing, organizing, and implementing multiple programs, attention to detail, and compiling and analyzing data.