Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
At Awty, we believe that students learn best and faculty perform best in a culture of vibrant diversity. Diversity is an essential quality of our school environment; our commitment to learning and the pursuit of excellence can occur only in such a context. It helps us guide our students to become responsible world citizens. Our commitment to learning about and respecting one another’s diversity brings distinct richness to the Awty experience for students, alumni, employees, and parents.
The Deputy Head works closely with the Head of ELC to provide academic program oversight and to support the efficient and timely completion of all administrative tasks within the division. The Deputy assumes certain specifically delegated duties and responsibilities. The Deputy reports to teh Head of Early Learning Camps and helps the ELC administrative team and faculty to provide individualized and personal attention to all students and their parents or guardians in keeping with the school's mission.
- Fluency in more than one language. English is a must; French or Spanish highly desired
- Relevant advanced degree
- At least five years full-time teaching and/or school leadership experience
- International and/or independent school experience
- Experience in early childhood education leadership
- Experience working in a school with a language immersion program
We seek a mature, wise, joyful, balanced and enthusiastic leader with appropriate academic and administrative qualifications. The following list indicates attributes that would be valued in this person:
- A love of children, and successful experience in connecting with them and creating an environment where they flourish
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to inspire, challenge and support students and staff
- Team leadership skills that will further unify and support a talented faculty
- Excellent planning and organizational ability
- Proven experience in sound decision making
- Experience in support, supervision and evaluation of faculty
- Cross-cultural openness and understanding
- Willingness to engage in the school, the local and our international community
- Knowledge of the French National curriculum and/or international curricula
- Exhibit passion, enthusiasm and knowledge about language immersion
- Be well versed in current research and best practices in teaching and learning and curricular development
Deputy Head Duties
- Communicate with parents and faculty and attend conferences as needed on issues related to academic performance and behavioral concerns.
- Meet with individual students to facilitate progress with academic challenges, moderate social struggles and manage behavioral concerns.
- Process and resolve student disciplinary matters in consultation with the Division Head.
- Attend regular meetings with grade level coordinators, cycle coordinators, student support team, Division Head, and others as needed.
- Support the Division Head with the implementation of the faculty supervision program.
- Develop yearly class schedules and teacher duty schedules.
- Manage teacher absences and substitution on a daily basis.
- Oversee the development and logistical arrangements for yearly field trips.
- Serve on ELC Admissions Committee
- Lead important pedagogical work for the ELC
- Contribute to the wider life of the school in areas such as special projects, assemblies, field trips and service learning activities, in addition to curriculum nights, open houses, prospective parent meetings, and other school and parent events.
- Other duties as assigned