Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
The Director of Pre-Primary is a key member of the Instructional Team, sharing responsibilities with the Director of Extended Day and Enrichment Programs overseeing our Early Learning Program (students ages 1 and 2) as well as our PreK 3, PreK 4, and Kindergarten Program to help develop and nurture a learning community made up of extraordinary faculty and staff dedicated to each and every child. This 10 month school administrator position also supports the work of the Lower School Head in running the Lower School program.
Supports the Academic Program
- Collaborates with the Director of Extended Day and Enrichment Programs in oversight of our Early Learning Program providing feedback, in conjunction with the Director of Extended Day and Enrichment, informing professional development
- Conducts observations of PreK 3, PreK 4 and Kindergarten teachers to provide feedback to academic staff and in conjunction with Lower School Head and Curriculum Coordinator, informing professional development
- Collects, analyzes, interprets, and uses student data to identify ways to more effectively plan and differentiate instruction based on student needs
- Supports academic team in developing action plans based on data, provide feedback on action plans, and monitor implementation of action plans
- In Conjunction with Director of Extended Day and Enrichment Programs Reviews lesson plans of ELP, PreK and Kindergarten teachers and provides feedback on objectives and lesson alignment for the whole day at school.
Manages the Student Culture
- Enforces school-wide expectations daily with students
- Manages student behavior that requires time and intervention beyond the classroom in ELP, PreK and Kindergarten
- Leads restorative intervention for students who have engaged in behaviors that have caused disruption/harm to the community
- Assist in scheduling special programs and gatherings with the Lower School Administrative Team, St. Mark’s Campus.
- Keeps the Lower School Head fully informed on student issues and all other relevant matters pertaining to school life.
- Helps to supervise students as directed (e.g.,carpool, lunch periods, extracurricular programs, etc.).
- Models the Core Values and contributes to a healthy Lower School culture
Strong candidates for this Pre-Primary position will have significant knowledge of and expertise in both academic and cultural elements of school leadership, while demonstrating: deep care for students, and families, an ability to be a self-starter and take initiative, a love for collaboration and teamwork, strong work ethic, excellent organizational skills, flexibility, and ease and experience in managing and analyzing data. Additionally, a strong candidate will possess
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university (Master’s Preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in an elementary/lower school with at least 4 years of teaching experience. Independent Day School experience is a plus
- Minimum of 2 years of leadership experience in an elementary/lower school environment, experience managing others preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, motivating, growing, and coaching
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills including working with students, teachers, leaders, and families
- Ability to respond effectively to the high expectations of student and parent populations