Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
The Kinkaid Middle School (KMS) Director of Learning Services works to ensure that every KMS student reaches their full potential. The Director is responsible for facilitating communication between students, families, teachers, and learning specialists around the academic needs of all students, particularly those with diagnosed learning differences. The Director takes an active role in the identification of learning issues and the implementation of accommodations based on need. The Director reports to the Head of the Middle School and sits on the Middle School Administrative Team. The Director also oversees the Academic Support Department, including a learning specialist and a reading specialist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain files and educational testing provided by families.
- Read and interpret educational testing results and make suggestions for appropriate accommodations based on knowledge of demonstrated student needs and the KMS curriculum.
- Meet 1-on-1 and in small groups with students (primarily in grades 7 & 8) to provide additional support in content acquisition and executive functioning skill development.
- Teach an Academic Skills class in 7th and/or 8th grade for students with a documented need for ongoing executive functioning and curricular support.
- Communicate with parents regularly to discuss issues related to learning differences, accommodations, and academic remediation.
- Refer students for professional evaluations when learning issues arise that may need a diagnosis.
- Work with faculty about how to differentiate curriculum, implement accommodations, and support all learners in the classroom.
- Coordinate annual standardized testing and the interpretation of the results to families.
- Collaborate with the MS Counselor, Curriculum Coordinator, and Grade Level Deans to support student academic success and specific grade-level areas for improvement.
- Serve on the MS Admin Team to ensure the overall wellness of KMS students.
- Master’s degree in special education or related field (doctorate degree preferred)
- Relevant and current Certifications/licenses in the field
- Experience providing learning support for students, helping them acquire study and organizational skills and master important academic content
- Strong knowledge of specific learning challenges, including dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and attention deficit disorder
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Core knowledge about the development of middle school age children
- Commitment to collaboration and high ethical professional standard
- Collegial, energetic, and engaging
- Eagerness to grow professionally and remain current within the field
- Exemplifies Kinkaid’s four core values (honesty, responsibility, respect, and kindness) in interactions with all members of the community
- Relevant experience in independent schools is preferred