Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Durham Academy seeks an Assistant Lower School Director. The Lower School serves approximately 300 students in grades 1-4 and supports approximately 50 Lower School faculty and staff. The Assistant Director will work closely with the Director to support the daily functioning of the Lower School to ensure the fulfillment of the school’s mission, which is to prepare each student to live a moral, happy and productive life. This will be a part-time leadership position but may be partnered with other part-time teaching responsibilities for a full-time position, salary and benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with our Reading and Math Specialists and Academic Leaders to assist with the development and alignment of LS curriculum.
- Establish a consistent schedule of classroom observations to inform decisions about faculty professional development and to coach, support and supervise LS faculty.
- Plan, vet, schedule and ensure curricular connection for special events and assemblies.
- Enhance community service days and associated projects, leveraging existing grade level partnerships, so the Lower School can be more intentional with community service initiatives.
- Support the recruitment of highly qualified teaching candidates and be a thought partner in the management and vetting of resumes and interviews.
- Foster relationships with teachers, specialists, families and students to understand and support the academic, social and emotional needs of our students.
- Assist the Lower School Director with the daily running of the division.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Lower School Director.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in Education with a minimum of five years of teaching experience is required. A Master’s Degree in an educational field of study is preferred. The successful candidate will:
- Understand and be able to support the developmental needs of children.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Have a solid working knowledge of curriculum development and experience with instructional best practices with Lower School learners.
- Demonstrate listening and leadership skills that promote collaboration and collegiality.
- Complement and extend the leadership capacity of the Lower School Director.