APPLY NOW — Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Ravenscroft School is an all gender independent day school in Raleigh, NC, with approximately 1,205 students enrolled in grades preschool through 12th grade. We are looking to welcome an Upper School Math Department Chair into our community of educators that actively strive to be diverse, equitable and inclusive. Our candidates should demonstrate empathy, knowledge and an understanding for the diverse backgrounds in our community; place an importance on genuine and authentic connections with students, faculty, staff and parents; be able to work collaboratively with team members of diverse backgrounds; and have the capacity to model an attitude of unyielding curiosity and a growth mindset. The department chair oversees teaching and learning in an academic department and provides leadership to department members. As a member of the Teaching and Learning Committee in the Upper School, the chair reports to the division head.
- Represent the department at Academic Committee meetings
- Serve as a liaison between department and divisional leadership team
- Serve as spokesperson for the department
- Plan and facilitate department meetings
- Set short-term and long-term goals for the department
- Manage departmental budget
- Coordinate special events and speakers
- Manage the student placement process
- Participate in the hiring process
- Serve as point of contact for class coverage needs
- Manage departmental visitations
- Coordinate department-specific external contests and testing
- Provide resources for professional development
- Coordinate curriculum shifts/changes
- Coordinate horizontal and vertical alignment of curriculum and grading policies
- Review and revise course descriptions for the curriculum guide on an annual basis
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the current program
- Manage the course and curriculum evaluation process to ensure that our faculty and programming are supporting institutional priorities and initiatives.
- Ensure Lead From Here is represented throughout the curriculum.
- Coach and mentor department members
- Evaluate department members through formal observations as part of the FGE process
- Model professionalism through an awareness of current with trends and best practices in pedagogy and curriculum
- Provide oversight of department members’ Canvas page
- Provide support for new faculty
- Coordinate teaching assignments
The successful candidate is an experienced educator with strong collaboration skills and a passion for teaching mathematics. The teacher’s lessons are student-centered and infused with both theory and practice, and they skillfully incorporate technology and creativity. Other responsibilities and competencies include
- Teaching 4 sections of mathematics across the curriculum based on interest and ability (courses range from Algebra 1 to Multivariable Calculus with standard, honors and Advanced Placement levels)
- Designing and delivering lessons that are supportive of Ravenscroft’s mission to “nurture individual potential and prepare students to thrive in a complex and interdependent world”
- Exhibiting superior teaching skills that demonstrate best practices, including inquiry-based learning, differentiated instruction, and facilitation
- Cultural competence and the ability to connect with a diverse community of students, faculty, staff, and parents
- Advising approximately 12 students and facilitating the integration of Ravenscroft’s “Lead from Here” curriculum
- Demonstrating effective technology skills, including the ability to use Ravenscroft’s learning management systems (Canvas and Veracross)
- Having an interest in serving on committees, leading a student club and/or coaching.
- Experience supporting social emotional learning inside and outside of the classroom; an eagerness and ability to support our Lead From Here curriculum
- Demonstrating a growth mindset and the ability to receive feedback, adapt to different learners’ needs, and become a valued colleague in a strong and cohesive department
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Math Education, or a related field; Master’s degree and experience teaching Upper School mathematics highly desirable.
- Ability and willingness to coach a sport is highly desirable.