Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Marist School, a co-educational, college-preparatory, Catholic school, seeks a faith-driven, experienced school leader to serve as Dean of Students for the 2023-24 school year.
MISSION: The mission of Marist School is to form the whole person in the image of Christ through instruction grounded in religious values, the teachings of the Catholic Church, and the spirit of the Society of Mary. This mission is advanced through the communal pursuit of excellence in academic, religious, extracurricular, leadership, and service programs.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT: Marist School seeks to foster a community of inclusion that respects the dignity of the individual in the areas of age, gender, religion, ability, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, culture, and sexual orientation. This obligation to build a community of inclusion is based on Sacred Scripture, the Teachings of the Catholic Church, and the spirit and traditions of the Society of Mary. All members of the Marist School community are responsible for advancing an understanding of and respect for diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Dean of Students manages student discipline, behavior, and attendance to maintain a school environment consistent with the mission, philosophy, and objectives of Marist School. The Dean of Students reports to and works with the Dean of Student Life to set and monitor compliance with standards and expectations for student attendance and behavior in grades 7-12. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Supervises student conduct and instructs students regarding proper behavior and deportment including administering consequences as laid out in the Parent/Student Handbook.
- Attends to the day-to-day operations of the Dean’s office in the Dean of Student Life’s absence.
- Meets and discusses student concerns and issues with the Dean of Student Life.
- Works with the Dean of Student Life to investigate, discipline, and administer consequences as necessary.
- Maintains good communication with faculty about student behavioral concerns.
- Chairs the Honor Council and conducts necessary hearings, meetings, training, and education around honor.
- Assists in extracurricular supervision at athletic and non-athletic events.
- Manages after-school detention and student detention records, taking appropriate action as necessary.
- Supervises students in the cafeteria, halls, and restrooms during the school day.
- Communicates with parents regarding student disciplinary matters.
- Participates in the Discipline Committee meetings for students with serious offenses.
- Participates in various committees focused on student health, well-being, and concerns.
- Updates and maintains school emergency procedures for classrooms.
- Supervises the cafeteria clean-up program with the Dean of Student Life.
- Assists the Dean of Student Life with implementing the student random drug testing program.
- Work with the Assistant to the Dean of Students to ensure teacher compliance with daily attendance procedures.
- Coordinates Activity Period duty and assists with monitoring behavior during the weekly Activity Period.
- Supervises the student parking lot, works with the calendar coordinator to schedule police officers for traffic management, and manages parking registration.
- Assigns lockers and coordinates locker clean-out in May.
RISK MANAGEMENT STANDARDS
- Specific abuse risk management standards are summarized as follows.
- Adhere to boundaries with students.
- Attend required abuse risk management training.
- Report suspicious and inappropriate behaviors.
- Follow mandated abuse reporting requirements.
- Adhere to job-specific abuse management responsibilities.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required; a master’s degree is preferred. Previously demonstrated school leadership is required. Additional time is required beyond a normal workday or week for evening and weekend supervision duties. Transcripts and references must be submitted during the application process. A background check and drug screen are part of the hiring process.