Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
SUMMARY OF THE BASIC FUNCTION
Provide oversight of all aspects of the educational program for the school. Lead the Educational Leadership Team and serve on the Executive Leadership Team to provide leadership for the entire school.
Education: Masters Degree in Education required, preferably in Educational Administration.State, ACSI or comparable certification is required.
Skills: Must understand all aspects of educational excellence and have the ability to assess and make recommendations to the school improvement program. Must be an excellent communicator with strong leadership skills in order to provide oversight and direction to the faculty and other administrative team members and to develop and maintain positive relationships with faculty, staff, students and their families. Must have basic computer skills including word processing, email and Internet. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate through various mediums including in-person, electronically, and over the phone.
Experience: At least 5 years of prior school administration (principal, Head of School or academic leader) experience is required. Experience as a principal in a Christian School setting is preferred. Experience with strategic planning, curriculum development and the accreditation process is preferred.
Physical Demands/Work Environment: Must be able to sit at a desk at least 50% of the time. Must be able to ambulate across the campus to observe faculty, classrooms and overall school activity. Must be able to lift 25 pounds. It is expected that all school staff members will participate in extracurricular activities with the students to the extent that they are able. This may include physical activities such as sporting events and competitions. Mental Requirements: Must be able to articulate a clear personal philosophy of Christian education. Must be able to work as part of a team, with a strong work ethic to achieve school goals, effective time management and multitasking abilities. Must be able to maintain positive relationships with faculty, staff, parents and students. Must be able to work well under pressure and prioritize tasks.
SCOPE OF AUTHORITY
Provide oversight to all faculty and educational staff including principals, Pathways student learning center, media center, athletics department and fine arts department.
- Promote the Christian Biblical culture in accordance with the Carmel Statement of Faith to those individuals in contact with the school, including students, their families, faculty & staff members, visitors, and those making inquiries about Carmel Christian School.
- Lead the education team to implement the school’s mission. Support and guide the education team to ensure excellence in the delivery of all academic instruction and in the administration of all educational programs (elementary, middle and high school divisions, pathways, athletics and arts).
- Ensure that teacher observations are completed. Perform evaluations of the education team and other direct reports and make recommendations to the Head of School regarding educational staffing and budgeting as needed.
- Oversee the overall K-12 curriculum development and improvement. Ensure a cohesive curriculum path between grades and age group divisions.
- Oversee the development and implementation of academic and educational aspects of the school’s strategic plan.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for programs related to school improvement, quality and academic appropriateness.
- Lead orientation, in-service and professional development events for faculty related to school improvement.
- Oversee the accreditation process for the school. Manage on-going school improvement activities related to the established accrediting agency goals. Ensure that the faculty policy manual, family handbook and other education-related documentation are accurate and maintained.
- Ensure the regular, systematic review of curriculum and textbooks.
- Lead the education team in maintaining an effective student testing strategy to evaluate student progress related to academic and discipleship goals.
- Ensure the use of this data to provide feedback to faculty, staff and parents, to improve programming and to maintain educational excellence.
- Serve as mentor to the education staff team and faculty to listen and offer counsel through daily life, academic and spiritual issues. Refer team members to the Carmel Counseling Center or other resources as needed.
- Lead as chaperone on school or mission trips (e.g., High School JTerm) as needed.
- Responsible for hiring all educational faculty and staff.
- Ensure that all faculty maintain appropriate certification.
- Act in place of Head of School when he/she is not on campus.
- Attend all administrative, faculty and leadership meetings.
- Other duties as assigned