Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Mathematics Department Chair and Upper School Mathematics Teacher
St. Catherine's School is an Episcopal day school in Richmond, Virginia, founded in 1890 enrolling 946 girls age 3 through grade 12. Located on a 16-acre campus in the western part of the city, St. Catherine's core values include pursuing academic excellence, developing character, nurturing spiritual growth, celebrating individuals, and building community. St. Catherine's School provides a rigorous education that prepares girls with diverse perspectives for a lifetime of learning, leadership, and service in a global community.
St. Catherine’s School seeks a committed, enthusiastic, and expert educator in Mathematics to serve as Department Chair and Upper School Mathematics instructor starting in fall 2023-2024. The Upper School Math Department implements girl-centered strategies, personalized instruction, and innovative technology to provide students with a strong foundation in mathematics in order to meet the challenges of the 21st century. The Department strives to provide accessible and challenging coursework as well as support for all students, regardless of ability, to achieve their potential. The Department Chair will oversee curriculum implementation across the age-3 to Grade 12 program and assist in a managerial role alongside the Chief Academic Officer and Division Heads. The Department Chair serves a four-year term that is eligible for renewal. As a Mathematics instructor in the Upper School, the successful candidate should be able to teach a variety of courses including higher-level Mathematics such as AP BC Calculus.
Supervisor: Director of Upper School; Chief Academic Officer
Status: Salaried, exempt, full-time, regular, 9-month
Hours of Work: Standard work week, occasional evening chaperoning and travel supervision.
- Create a classroom community based on the School's core values
- Implement and uphold the School’s access, equity, and belonging initiatives
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Mathematics curriculum that includes a focus on skill development
- Assume managerial responsibility for supporting department members, course registration, coordination with St. Christopher’s School, appropriate course placement for students, communications with parents and students
- Teach four courses in the Mathematics Department including at advanced levels, such as AP BC Calculus
- Work collaboratively with and align with colleagues teaching same-level courses
- Serve as an Upper School academic advisor
- Sponsor extracurricular activities
- Assist in leading the Upper School’s X-Term experiential learning program
- Serve on School life committees when requested
- Find joy in working with students and the wider School community both in teaching and taking part in the broader life of the School
REQUIREMENTS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or the teaching of Mathematics (master’s preferred)
- Experience in and passion for teaching Mathematics at the Upper School level
- Demonstrated creative and energetic teaching
- Strong classroom management skills
- Articulate current trends in Mathematics education and proven history of implementation of these trends
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills in working with students, parents, colleagues, and administrators, both oral and written
- Facility with and strong implementation of educational technologies
- Ability to coach a sport is desired
- Uphold the high standards of the School’s established program
TRAVEL: Occasional overnight and out-of-area travel may also be required for special events.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT: St. Catherine’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices. St. Catherine’s School is committed to providing an inclusive educational environment. We actively engage students, families, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our School community respects the differences in ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status. Consistent with the School’s mission, St. Catherine’s fosters in our students, and experts from all others, respect for the dignity and wholeness of every person. For more information about the school’s Access, Equity and Belonging please follow this link https://www.st.catherines.org/about/access-equity-and-belonging.
CONDITIONAL OFFERS: An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law, and ability to comply with the school’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires employees to be vaccinated from COVID-19 consistent with applicable law.
BENEFITS: St. Catherine’s School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this full-time position with benefits to include excellent health plan options, retirement benefits, exhaustive professional development and networking opportunities as well as state-of-the art facilities.