Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Carolina Friends School (CFS) is seeking an Upper School Head, referred to on campus as “Upper School Head Teacher.” The Upper School Head is responsible for the implementation of the School’s Quaker philosophy and mission in the curriculum and day-to-day operations of the Upper School. The Upper School Head facilitates the development of the unit’s programmatic vision; supervises, evaluates, and supports the professional growth of staff members; coordinates scheduling; facilitates admissions in collaboration with the Enrollment Office; and oversees budgeting and student discipline for the unit. This position will include working with approximately 175 students and 25 full-time and 5 part-time staff members, as well as the School’s leadership team and greater community. The Upper School Head reports to the Head of School and receives support from the Assistant Head for Teaching and Learning. Building on our roots as one of the first purposefully integrated schools in the region, Carolina Friends School actively seeks students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds.
Strong candidates will possess
- Deep knowledge and understanding of curriculum design and implementation, pedagogy, and professional growth
- A view of adolescent development that encompasses intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth
- An advanced degree in Education or related field (preferred)
- Supervisory experience
- Skill in strategic visioning and goal-setting
- A proven record of success as a teacher and instructional leader of secondary school-age students, experience with block schedules preferred
- Strong intra/interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Strong communication skills reflecting intelligence and heart—writing and speaking with clarity and grace, editing well, and listening closely
- The ability to respond to varied demands with integrity, energy, courage, creativity, resilience, flexibility, and humor
- A focused and collaborative leadership style, skill at building relationships, shared decision-making, and resolution of problems in a manner aligned with Quaker process
- An understanding of and strong affinity for Quaker philosophy and the School’s mission
- A delight in getting to know students, parents, colleagues, trustees, and friends of CFS
- Enthusiasm for engaging with students through large and small group opportunities (e.g. teaching elective courses, student leadership development)
- Willingness to understand how power and inequality, influenced by factors such as race, class, gender, sexuality, and learning and/or physical disabilities impact our students, families, and colleagues
The Upper School at Carolina Friends strives to be a learning community rooted in Quaker philosophy and values where teenagers can find and create a safe place for the exploration of themselves and the world. Students and teachers address one another without titles as an expression of the equality we see in one another. We believe that a child’s secondary education experience should challenge them to develop the critical thinking, reading, and problem-solving skills that not only prepare students for life beyond graduation but also for participation in the world as active agents right now. We require students to have a wide variety of curricular experiences, from traditional academic requirements to extensive work in the arts and community service. Upper School students are asked to see themselves as stewards of their whole community.
APPLICANTS: Please review the Who We Are, Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity, and Important Information for All Applicants sections on the CFS job opportunities page. Carolina Friends School actively strives to be a community of staff, students, and families of diverse backgrounds. CFS does not discriminate based on age, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, socio-economic background, family structure, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, or military service in the administration of its policies and program. CFS is an equal opportunity employer in both policy and practice.