Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Atlanta Jewish Academy is a college preparatory, co-educational, Infant to twelfth grade, independent Jewish Day School, guided by modern orthodox values and principles. We embody the ideals of community, tradition, individual development, and educational innovation. AJA develops the whole person for college and life by fostering a love of Torah, Israel, and all Jewish people through an excellent secular and Judaic education within an inclusive, nurturing community.
The Judaic Studies Principal supervises the Judaic Studies program, including the design and implementation of Judaic Studies curricula and all Judaic Studies faculty. This position is also responsible for overseeing all programming and activities involving 9-12th grade students, parents and faculty within the school. The Principal collaborates closely with other members of the school’s Educational Leadership Team to ensure that the structures and systems in the school maximally support the school’s mission and vision centered on each student’s intellectual, moral, and religious growth and development. Eﬀective communication, collaboration, proactive management, and systems thinking will be key to success in this position.
- Create systems, policies and procedures that align with educational best practice.
- Recruit high caliber, mission aligned Judaic studies faculty.
- Create a missioned aligned, engaging, developmentally appropriate JS curriculum, with a documented and integrated scope and sequence.
- Demonstrated leadership, organization, strategic, and management skills.
- An experienced and trained pedagogue who is an educational innovator who supports experimentation
- Passionate about inspiring continued professional development, better educational practices, and thoughtful instruction in faculty
- Ability to model and to lead others eﬀectively in managing relationships, interpersonal dynamics, navigating conﬂict well, and fostering a positive work environment; possesses strong collaboration and team-oriented working and leadership skills along with the ability to balance a pursuit of academic and institutional excellence with compassion and caring for each individual;
- Possesses excellent communication, listening, interpersonal skills; the willingness and ability to engage in diﬃcult conversations with students, parents, faculty, and staﬀ; communicates with empathy, tact and diplomacy in a clear, courteous and professional manner, and gives timely feedback with the interest of growth and development;
- Exhibits reﬂective thinking and a willingness to examine and grow his/her own practice;
- Possesses a general knowledge of cognitive, moral, and social-emotional development of Middle and High Schoolers;
- Possesses skills and experience in the areas of teacher supervision, observation, and feedback
- Maintains and improves existing high levels of students’ academic achievement
- Guides, evaluates and improves on our academic program to meet the needs of all learners
- Promotes an educational vision and day-to-day operations that put student learning and the student experience at the center of the work
- Creates an orderly, controlled environment in which learning can take place, a school climate which is supportive and which reﬂects high morale.
- Manages, evaluates and supervises eﬀective and clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the school consistent with the philosophy, mission, values and goals of the school including instructional programs, extracurricular activities, discipline systems to ensure a safe and orderly climate, and program evaluation.
- Be a visible presence in all areas of the school; to work toward a resolution of all problems - both routine and unique - as they arise; to keep the head of school informed of the general programs, activities, and problems of the school.
- Supervise in a fair and consistent manner eﬀective discipline and attendance systems with high standards, consistent with the philosophy, values, and mission of the school. Ensure a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among staﬀ and students.
- Collaborates on the professional development vision for the school with a focus on building a reﬂective and collaborative professional culture in which teachers are committed to, and supported in, growing their teaching practice.
- Establishes the annual master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring sequential learning experiences for students consistent with the school’s philosophy, mission statement and instructional goals.
- Is current about trends in 7-12 education
- Envisions, plans and executes orientation for new teachers, professional development days, and faculty meetings in close collaboration with other administrators
- Makes recommendations to the Head of School regarding the hiring and retention, and the assignment of faculty
- Has experience and ability to facilitate constructive meetings in which teams of teachers feel that they are a part of a learning community
- Knows how to solve problems in a way that maximizes learning while considering various stakeholder perspectives
- Conduct regular and timely teacher evaluations
- Consult with teachers in matters of instruction, assessment, classroom management, and general school procedures
- Is passionate about children and education
- Has integrity and a strong work ethic and takes responsibility for actions and decisions
- Is honest and open and is an active listener
- Is a creative person and has a sense of humor
- Is able to have diﬃcult conversations
- Is a strong team player
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, strong knowledge of curriculum development and implementation, excellent oral and written skills, ability to take initiative and build consensus among groups, ability to work well with faculty, students, parents and leadership with wisdom, humility and humor.