Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
The Middle School Academic Dean is a member of the Middle School’s Administrative team who works directly with the Middle School Director, the Middle School Dean of Students, the Middle School Guidance Counselor, Department Chairpersons, faculty, parents, and students. In conjunction with the MS faculty, the MS Academic Dean is responsible for monitoring student learning and supporting students who are academically struggling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities - The Academic Dean supervises and supports the academic demands at the middle school.
- Work closely with the Middle School Director to establish a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and creative school culture.
- The MS Academic Dean may co-teach course(s) depending on the needs of the middle school.
- Communicates often with the Middle School Director all student issues and all other relevant matters pertaining to the middle school’s academic program.
- Work with the Middle School Director to communicate issues relating to academics to faculty and parents as necessary.
- Monitor student academic performance in conjunction with the Advisors, Department Chairpersons, and Middle School Administrative Team.
- Work with the Director of Admissions, the Middle School Director, the Dean of Students, the School Counselor, and others as appropriate on the placement of new students.
- Consult individually with and monitor the progress of students who are experiencing academic challenges. Work with the Center for Academic Excellence, MS Faculty, MS Advisors, Department Chairpersons, the School Counselor, and parents to help those students be academically successful.
- Work as the liaison/intermediary between the CAE and the classroom teachers to ensure all students’ needs are being met with best practice and continuous communication.
- Ensure all faculty are providing students with recommended strategies to meet the needs of all learners.
- Work together with Department Chairpersons to provide assistance to teachers or grade levels in finding curriculum resources or programs related to student support.
- Serve on the Middle School Review Board and Middle School Honor Council.
- Assessments (semester exams, standardized tests, progress monitoring tests) – Prepare & develop training, schedules, and accommodations. Communicate with students, parents, and faculty regarding expectations for assessments
- Attend and help with the planning of all Middle School meetings and events
- Work with the Lower School Dean of Academics and the Upper School Dean of Academics to ensure continuity between divisions.
- Review Middle School schedule and grade book when needed
- Be available throughout the school day for faculty, parents, and students
- Conduct student and teacher observations to provide academic support as needed
- Be available to represent the Middle School in the absence of the Middle School Director
- A bachelor’s degree in Education and an advanced degree in Education are required (preferably in Reading Education and/or Educational Leadership)
- A minimum of 10 years of classroom teaching experience and has served as a teacher leader
- Intercultural competency with a respect for diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as articulated in our Statement of Belonging
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on public speaking ability
- Superior organizational skills that include attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently