Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
St. Andrew's Episcopal School seeks a dynamic leader to lead our Middle School. Reporting to the Head of School and serving on the Senior Leadership Team, this individual will embrace a strong existing culture and provide strategic, visionary leadership for the division.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership for the Middle School and maintain congruency between the school’s mission and all activities of the Middle School.
- Act as the educational leader of the Middle School, responsible for day-to-day operation.
- Serve as the chief articulator of the Middle School’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed consistent with their individual roles.
- Recognize and manage the balance between supporting the independence of faculty and overseeing curricular and programmatic coherence and consistency across grade levels, divisions, and departments.
- Observe and serve as a consultant to faculty in matters of development and implementation of curriculum, classroom management, teaching methods, and general school procedures.
- Conduct regular meetings with faculty which deal with routine school matters and with the stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern.
- Establish and conduct regular meetings with the Director of Athletics to ensure successful athletic programming for Middle School students, ensure healthy communication between departments, and facilitate building mutual understanding between faculty and coaches.
- Assist in the planning and presentation of school assemblies and programs and in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of school events.
- Work closely with new families to welcome them into the St. Andrew’s community and help them understand the school’s culture.
- Serve as a spokesperson for all issues at the Middle School and represent the Middle School and St. Andrew’s in the larger community.
- Hire, supervise, and provide strategic direction for Middle School faculty and staff.
- Oversee the professional growth and annual evaluations of Middle School faculty and staff.
- Develop and manage the Middle School budget.
- Work with appropriate departments to plan and conduct standardized assessments and communicate results with appropriate stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the Office of Admission to recruit, enroll, and retain mission-appropriate students.
- Serve as one of the principal liaisons with the St. Andrew’s Parents’ Association.
- Work closely with the Office of Institutional Advancement to support the school’s friend- and fundraising efforts.
- Serve on the school’s Senior Leadership Team and appropriate committees.
- Stay current on trends in independent schools and curriculum by taking an active role in professional activities and attending relevant professional meetings and conferences.
The ideal candidate will be a leader, collaborator, and mentor as well as possess the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree.
- At least 10 years of experience in an independent school with a proven track record of instructional leadership in social and emotional learning, student-centered learning, and other innovative educational practices.
- Represent the school in the larger community in a positive manner that reflects the values of the school.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain effective, professional relationships with students, faculty, administrators, parents, alumni, and guests.
- High degree of cultural competency and demonstrated success in working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated with the ability to handle multiple, simultaneous, and complex projects
- Strong organizational and time management skills
St. Andrew’s Episcopal School is a vibrant community dedicated to living out our mission of nurturing a diverse community in the Episcopal tradition, fostering spiritual growth, moral responsibility, academic excellence, and artistic and athletic pursuits, while preparing for a life of service to our community and the world. We are an independent, coeducational, preparatory day school serving nearly 1100 students from infants through twelfth grade. St. Andrew’s is a close-knit community of students, faculty, staff, administrators, and families of many faiths, cultures, races, and economic backgrounds. Founded in 1947, the school occupies two campuses in the Jackson, MS metro area. The South Campus in Jackson houses the Foundations program (infant through pre-K2) and Lower School (pre-K3 through grade 4), and the North Campus in Ridgeland houses the Middle School (grades 5 through 8) and Upper School (grades 9 through 12.)