Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
With a 50+ year tradition of athletic competition, Gaston Day School is a member of the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA), competing in the 2A classification. GDS has Middle School, JV and Varsity teams and competes in the following sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball. Since 1967, Gaston Day has won 17 state championships including one state title and a state runner-up finish this fall. With roughly 70 percent of 6th-12th grade students participating in school sports, Gaston Day values the overall team experience as a key piece of its students’ education and embraces the departmental core values of: Team Before Self, Tireless Preparation, and Fierce in Competition.
The Athletic Director is responsible for leading all aspects of the school’s athletic programs and will lead the school’s effort to attract and retain a diverse group of coaches and student-athletes. The Director is charged with understanding the athletic landscape in the greater Charlotte market and will need a deep understanding of the NCISAA. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the mission and programs of the school and will be prepared to set the strategy for the department, be eager to embrace innovation, and serve as a visible spokesperson to the community and other external constituencies. This position reports to The Head of School and has responsibility for managing the Assistant Athletic Director, physical education teachers, as well as coaches and the school’s Athletic Trainer.
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree as well as a minimum of five years of experience at an Associate Director or Director of Athletics level at an independent school or in higher education. Candidates will be responsible for and should demonstrate proficiencies in the following areas:
- Establish and maintain an athletic department curriculum while ensuring proper implementation in each athletic program
- Work with the Marketing Office to create an internal sports marketing strategy that strengthens our brand
- Formulates action plans for program development with annual goals and objectives
- Provides training and professional development opportunities for staff and volunteers
- Direct the Spartan Athletic Club booster program and assist the Development Office to solicit gifts in support of the Athletic Department
- Foster high ethical standards, integrity, and respect for students, colleagues, alumni, and parents
Candidates should possess
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, well developed presentation skills and demonstrate exceptional listening skills
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills; the ability to manage complex scheduling and logistics is necessary
- A strong knowledge of best practices and ability to generate new ideas to develop student athletic programs
- An ability to foster a culture of excellence and comprehensive development of athletes
- Skilled budget and finance practices to develop a departmental budget and facility/equipment management plan
Gaston Day School is committed to increasing the racial, ethnic, and religious diversity of our faculty and staff. Gaston Day School is an equal opportunity employer and hires without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex/gender, age, or disability.