Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
The Middle Division Director reports to the Head of School, is a member of the school’s Administrative Team, and is charged with the primary responsibility of all programs and activities involving the students, parents, and faculty of the Middle Division (5th-8th Grades). The Middle Division Director’s overall responsibility is to develop and maintain a culture, a community, and an educational experience that are in accord with the Academy’s Mission and Core Values. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- To oversee the day-to-day operations of the Middle Division, directing the activities of the Division’s instructional staff and – in conjunction with the CFO and Facilities Manager – the non-instructional staff in the performance of their duties.
- To provide for an orderly environment in which both teaching and learning can thrive, and a community climate that is welcoming, supportive, and reflects our school’s commitment to “the joy in the journey.”
- To serve as the chief articulator of the Middle Division’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and all other information necessary to ensure that all school constituencies are kept fully informed consistent with their respective needs.
- To be a visible presence in all areas of the school; to work toward a resolution of all challenges – both routine and unique – as they arise; and to keep the Head of School informed in a timely manner as to the people, programs, activities, needs, and challenges of the Middle Division.
- To assist the admissions process by interviewing and evaluating applicants, engaging with prospective parents, and supporting programs and activities of the Marketing, Admissions, and Development Department.
- To be an advocate for the interests of the Middle Division’s students, parents, and teachers.
- To actively support the Administrative Team, faculty, and staff in the planning and implementation of all-school programs and activities.
- To support the Academy and its leaders, and to perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- Working with the Director of Curriculum, to observe, supervise, and evaluate the faculty in the development and implementation of Middle Division curricular programs. This includes overseeing both the 5th-8th Grade curriculum scope and sequence and the delivery of instruction by the Middle Division faculty.
- Working with the Athletic Director and other personnel, to observe, supervise, and evaluate the faculty and coaching staff in the development and implementation of all Middle Division extracurricular programs, including Advisory, clubs, student organizations, experiential and travel programs, athletics, etc.
- To promote and maintain a Middle Division faculty culture that is united, positive, supportive, creative, collaborative, knowledgeable, professional, and engaged.
- To make recommendations to the Head of School regarding the hiring, assignment, and retention of members of the Middle Division faculty.
- Working with the Division Directors and the Director of Curriculum & Instruction, to establish programs for the orientation of new teachers, for the professional development of the faculty, and for the evaluation of classroom teachers.
- To support the faculty by serving as a guide and resource in matters relating to classroom management, teaching methods, parent communication, general school policies, etc.
- To ensure that Middle Division parents are informed about the academic and behavioral progress of their children in a professional and timely manner.
- To listen to and respond to Middle Division parent needs and concerns with an informed and open mind; to counsel and assist parents in meeting these needs and in resolving these concerns to the extent possible and appropriate in accordance with the Academy’s Mission and Core Values.
- To build respectful, positive, and supportive relationships with Middle Division parents so as to best serve the academic, behavioral, and developmental needs of their children.
- To promote and maintain a Middle Division student culture that is warm, welcoming, positive, supportive, creative, collaborative, respectful, and engaged.
- To listen to and respond to Middle Division student needs and concerns with an informed and open mind; to counsel and assist students in meeting these needs and in resolving these concerns to the extent possible and appropriate in accordance with the Academy’s Mission and Core Values.
- To encourage and support students in their efforts and achievements in academics, the arts, athletics, extracurricular, and character development.
- To oversee the academic guidance of, the maintenance of complete academic records for, and the appropriate measurement of academic progress of Middle Division students.
- To establish, review, and ensure adherence to equitable guidelines for the conduct, dress, and attendance of Middle Division students. This includes working with the faculty to maintain student discipline in a manner consonant with the Academy's Mission and Core Values.