About Saint Andrew’s School
Saint Andrew's School is an independent, co-educational school for grades PK-12, Saint Andrew's is both a day school and a boarding school, educating students from across the United States and around the world. As a college preparatory school in the Episcopal tradition, Saint Andrew's welcomes students of all faiths, customs, cultures, and beliefs. "Honor Above All," academic excellence, and education in Mind, Body, and Spirit define the Saint Andrew's experience. We are committed to educating the "whole child" while instilling a dedication to lifelong learning.
Saint Andrew’s School seeks employees who are committed to our mission to build a community of learners, provide excellence in education, and nurture each student in Mind, Body, and Spirit. We encourage applications from individuals whose backgrounds and experiences will help us promote an inclusive school culture. We are committed to respecting the dignity of each member of our community, and we strive to recruit a diverse and talented faculty and staff.
For this position, Saint Andrew’s is in search of a dynamic leader of the school’s successful athletic program, which consistently places in the top 5 in the state of Florida in the FHSAA Floyd E. Lay Sunshine Cup All-Sports Awards. Each year, Saint Andrew’s typically celebrates 20-30 students who commit to compete at the collegiate level. Saint Andrew’s has a strong showing each year at the varsity level in the FHSAA’s state series, consisting of district, regional, and state championships. However, the athletic program also has an intentional focus on the development of our sub-varsity student-athletes that is seen with over 70 percent of our students participating in athletics at the middle school and upper school levels and a wide range of team and sport offerings. In addition to being a member of the Florida High School Athletic Association, Saint Andrew’s is a founding member of the Palm League, which consists of nine other top independent schools in Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade Counties.
Athletics Statement of Philosophy
In keeping with the philosophy of the school, the athletic department of Saint Andrew’s School emphasizes the value of each individual and respect for others. We stress teamwork, sportsmanship, personal commitment, striving for excellence, and a sense of fair play and fun. Knowing that participation in athletics improves students’ self-confidence and overall health, our coaching staff is committed to fostering each student-athlete’s confidence, decision-making skills, responsibility, and leadership skills - qualities that will serve them well throughout life. We hope that by taking advantage of the many positive experiences that sports have to offer, each participant will enjoy their time on the playing fields and courts and in the pool, and will take with them many impactful memories. Through fostering broad participation in sports and enthusiastic support for the school’s teams, the athletic department also seeks to generate a sense of pride and school spirit in the student body, the faculty, and the larger school community.
Saint Andrew’s is a member of the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) and the Palm League and fully supports their policies and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Athletics is responsible for implementing, coordinating, and maintaining all athletic programs for the middle and upper school, which field 70 teams in 19 sports. The Director
- Develops, administers, and assesses athletic programs that align with the School’s mission of Mind, Body and Spirit;
- Publicly represents the athletics program regularly to students, families, and alumni/ae and serves as Saint Andrew’s liaison to the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) and the Palm League;
- Understands and is knowledgeable about compliance and FHSAA policies and by-laws;
- Serves as the primary contact person for parent/guardian concerns and communication regarding the athletics program, policies, coaching staff, and department philosophies;
- Hires, supervises and evaluates all coaches (90+) and athletic department personnel;
- Verifies student (domestic and international) eligibility for participation;
- Manages required coaching certifications;
- Establishes and maintains systems of communication for students, parents, coaches, faculty, staff, and administration regarding schedules, policies and other related updates;
- Assists or assigns the scheduling of games, officials, and team transportation;
- Maintains and updates athletic department handbook;
- Manages the athletic operating budget, including coaching stipends and capital requests;
- Serves as the athletic department liaison to the Saint Andrew’s Booster Club;
- Works closely with department athletic trainers and school nurses to ensure that all state and association requirements and protocols and best practices are being followed regarding student health and safety;
- Serve on school committees and leadership teams representing the athletic department, including the Senior Leadership Team, Educational Leadership Team, Committee on Equity and Justice, and Committee on Ethics and Compliance;
- Develops relationships and works closely with the College Guidance, Advancement, Business, and academic offices at the lower, middle, and upper schools;
The successful candidate will possess excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as proficiency in applicable technology (e.g., athletic website, school database, FHSAA management system - Home Campus, etc.) and dynamic interpersonal skills. A bachelor’s degree in athletic administration or related discipline is required, with a master’s degree preferred. Candidates are expected to have prior proven successful experience in athletic administration, preferably in an independent school, and will support and uphold the mission and vision of Saint Andrew’s School beyond the scope of the athletic program.