Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
Stratford Academy seeks a Head of Middle School who will serve as the instructional leader for grades 6 through 8. Responsible for overseeing all administrative and academic aspects of the middle school, the Head of Middle School will support the mission of Stratford Academy by guiding middle school programming that challenges students to reach their full potential.
Stratford Academy is known for having a tradition of academic excellence. The new Head of Middle School will build upon tradition by incorporating pedagogical practices that increase student engagement during learning. The Head of Middle School will use a variety of information from multiple sources and engage key stakeholders in establishing and communicating a shared, mission-driven vision for teaching and learning that results in improved student achievement and enhanced student well- being. The new Head of Middle School will provide stability and will be a visible presence and active supporter of Middle School faculty. This leader will provide teachers with clear expectations for teaching and learning, accompanied by professional learning opportunities and necessary resources to design and deliver quality learning opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the chief communicator of the Middle School’s programs, expectations, and behavioral standards.
- Provide systematic and collaborative leadership to ensure the implementation of a challenging curriculum, highly effective instruction, and quality assessment practices.
- Provide accountability for student engagement and track student progress.
- Manage day-to-day operations and resources to provide a safe, efficient, and effective learning environment for students and staff.
- Observe, evaluate, and serve as a mentor to faculty regarding curriculum design and implementation, classroom management, and effective use of best teaching practices.
- Recruit, select, develop, retain, support, and lead highly qualified, mission- appropriate faculty members.
- Develop performance improvement plans and provide mentorship for underperforming faculty.
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office to recruit, enroll, and retain mission- appropriate students.
- Create a culture of collaboration amongst the faculty by conducting meetings to discuss and develop philosophical and educational ideas.
- Partner with the Director of Athletics to provide administrative presence and support at all Middle School extracurricular activities and sporting events.
- Serve as the key spokesperson and representative of Stratford Academy Middle School in the community.
- Develop a comprehensive orientation program for new students and their families.
- Use multiple data points to track student growth and monitor teacher effectiveness.
- Establish a plan for onboarding and orienting new faculty.
- Facilitate focused and meaningful Middle School assemblies.
- Serve on Stratford’s senior leadership team.
- Maintain the Middle School calendar.
- Manage the Middle School budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate is a relationship-driven, collaborative leader who loves middle school students and possesses the following qualifications:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven track record of courageous leadership.
- Instructional leadership experience.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Lifelong learner dedicated to staying up to date on research in adolescent development and student-centered pedagogies.
- Approachable, values relationships and has a sense of humor.
- Open-minded, values feedback and input from others, but not afraid to make bold decisions to promote the greater good of the school community.
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience, preferably at the middle school level.
- A Master’s degree in Educational Leadership or Organizational Management is preferred, but not required.