Or, if you are already an active candidate with Southern Teachers, please contact your placement counselor.
St. George’s Independent School is a PK-12 coeducational Episcopal school spanning three campuses across the greater Memphis, TN metro region. Our elite facilities include four gymnasiums, eight multi-purpose fields, a dedicated baseball and softball complex, natatorium, and tennis center. With over 1000 students, six out of seven middle and high school students participate in our robust sports program with over 70 teams on which to play, including no-cut sports offered in each season of the year. Athletes share collegial relationships with coaches, teammates, and families in a culture of high support towards achieving personal and group excellence. St. George’s welcomes families to the school in ethical ways that obey the rules set forth by our state athletics governing body. We are exceedingly proud of our athletics program. Since the expansion into middle and high school in 2002, St. George’s has earned an astounding 62 state championships, which is an incredible record of achievement in the first two decades as an athletic program. Additionally, more than 140 student-athletes have moved on to play at the college level—at double the national average. These statistics speak volumes about the quality of our coaching staff and the school’s emphasis on sportsmanship, dedication, perseverance, as well as achievement.
Athletes describe the incredible investment made by our coaches to develop each player equally, to the best of their ability. We have excelled in recruiting and retaining varsity head coaches who are full time employees and who are aligned with the school’s mission and dedicated to achieving high levels of excellence. Based on our school’s size, we are large enough to offer a broad array of competitive sports and small enough that students have the opportunity to be a part of a team and contribute to the team’s success as they learn and grow. Pulling from 50 zip codes across the Mid-South, St. George’s athletes are transformed by the experience of playing with teammates who are different from themselves. The development of character through sports is a critical part of our program and is central to everything we do. As a premier college preparatory school, all athletes are held to the same high academic expectations as the rest of the student body. We do not offer “athlete tracks” that lower the bar for select students in our program.
Challenges and Opportunities
- While participation levels are high in middle and high school, we believe in the power of multi-sport athletes and seek a leader who can help maximize participation in all three seasons.
- We believe in maximizing the number of teachers who also serve as coaches in our program and we seek a leader who will inspire them by drawing connections between coaching and the school’s mission.
- The recent addition of our lower school sports program (grades 1-5, started in 2021) is building a pipeline for greater participation in middle and high school and we seek a leader who can maximize the performance and potential of our lower school athletes as they grow.
- We believe being a Gryphon is a source of pride for our community. We seek a leader who can help deepen a positive winning culture and build structures for cultural accountability with all constituents. Additionally, we want to create a culture that shines in contrast to others in our market.
- We seek an educator who is well-versed in navigating the challenging college recruiting landscape and can help athletes and their families understand the opportunities and pathways to achieve desired outcomes.
- We seek a powerful fundraiser who will inspire the community to make continuous investments in our school, help athletes achieve excellence, deepen a sense of school pride, and encourage new families to become Gryphons.
- We seek candidates of integrity, with strong interpersonal skills, and who model the health and wellness we seek to achieve in our students.
- We are looking for skilled, energetic public speakers who can connect with their audiences and share stories to inspire the community.
- We seek candidates who can read others well in assessing their skills through the hiring process and have a knowledge of strong, current hiring practices.
- Budget management and a nuanced understanding of the fiscal responsibilities and opportunities in athletics will serve candidates well in the process.
- We are looking for candidates who don’t leave success to chance but who focus on the logistics and hospitality details to help our teams work together elbow to elbow for the greatest good.
- St. George’s desires to find a clear communicator of athletic vision, with an understanding of the developmental stages of athletes from our youngest Gryphons to our oldest. The optimal candidates will be curious, continuous learners, welcoming of a diversity of thought, and experienced in managing complexity.
- We seek a teacher, educator, and mentor of sport, with a strong belief in equity in all of its dimensions, particularly in gender and age. Successful candidates will be energetic team builders in working with our coaches, players, and parents, utilizing a hands-on approach and an active presence in all aspects of our program.
- Ideal candidates will have a comfort with the types of conflict that are typical in schools and athletics but deft in problem-solving and mediation to help keep people working together for the good of individuals and the team.
- We seek candidates who want to understand the unique strengths, characteristics, and challenges of greater Memphis, and seek to embed themselves deeply in our St. George’s community and the community at large.